Hi everyone, and welcome to the Carnival of Aces for May 2020. This is a monthly event for ace bloggers, where we accept submissions on a theme, and then post a roundup. In case you missed it, the roundup for last month’s carnival, themed on “Names” is now up.
For this month, I chose the theme “Quarantine“.
At first I thought to name it “Asexuality Under Quarantine”, but then I thought that COVID-19 is such a dominating force in many people’s lives that it may crowd out anything else. I’m a believer in the idea that we don’t always need to talk about asexuality, sometimes we just need to talk. Participants are granted permission to acknowledge that asexuality may have little to do with it. Or maybe it has a lot to do with it, that’s for you to say.
Here are a few possible ideas:
- How has your lifestyle changed in the past few months, and how has that impacted you?
- Are there people you’ve lost contact with? Relationships you’ve maintained over distance?
- Conversely, what about the people you’ve had to live with in closer quarters?
- Are there any projects you’ve been motivated to work on? Or projects that you can’t motivate yourself to work on?
- What would you like to see from ace communities and activists right now?
As always, you are not limited to these prompts. You are welcome to answer questions not asked, or just write some general thoughts and observations. Forms of media besides prose are also welcome.
And yes I know that most people technically aren’t under quarantine, but more like shelter in place, but that doesn’t have the same ring to it as a theme. (Hmm “Shelter” would be a cool theme though.)
To participate, please post your submission publicly on a platform of your choice. Then send me a link by May 31st, either by commenting below (no WordPress account required), or by e-mailing me at email@example.com. If you do not have a suitable platform to publish, please e-mail me and we can arrange for you to publish a guest post here.